10 February 2010

Dog Coat Stolen as Owner Shopped in Park Slope

Paws in the air, this is a stick-up!

A Park Slope pooch was left shivering in the buff after a coldhearted mugger stole his coat just days before a raging winter storm bore down on the city. Donna McPherson, 42, says she tied up Lexie, her 10-year-old Westie, in front of Ace Supermarket "for two minutes" so she could buy milk.

When she returned, his $25 green wool coat with leather trim and belt was gone. Fortunately, she said, Lexie wasn't wearing his pricier Burberry.

"How could anyone steal a coat off someone's back in the freezing cold?" McPherson railed to The Post. "I asked him, 'Where's your coat?' like he could answer me. I looked all over and could not find it."

McPherson, an investment banker, canvassed the neighborhood in search of clues. She assumed police would not take her seriously so she wrote about it on the blog Effed in Park Slope.

She normally doesn't leave Lexie outside stores, but thought it would be a quick stop. As she paid for the milk, she remembers hearing a "funny bark."

"I stuck my head out and everything was OK -- he was just looking at me," she said. "I was so angry, but in the end I was grateful that it was just the coat and not him."

McPherson said she knew she had to find a way to make it up to the traumatized Lexie. "I felt so bad, I bought him two new coats," she said. She still hopes to collar the crook.

"I walked around Park Slope sort of to see if I could see anyone with the coat and I didn't. It's totally bizarre," she said.

At Ace Supermarket on Seventh Avenue and Berkeley Place, employees insisted the neighborhood is normally safe for all mutts. "This is highly unusual for the area," said one.

[Source: New York Post]